Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Matt's FIRST Half Ironman - Benton Harbor, MI (post 1)

When Matt and I moved to Cape Girardeau, I never imagined he would become a triathlete. He got with a great group of people and over the next couple of years he began to race sprint and Olympic distances. In 2013, we both found a passion for CrossFit and though Matt wasn't racing, he began refereeing for triathlons. His love of triathlons never faded and in late June, he mentioned he wanted to compete in a HALF IRONMAN (swim 1.2 miles, bike 56 miles, run 13.1 miles)...yeah, no big deal (HA!!!) I did the  typical wife thing "great honey, you've got time to train" - thinking he would compete in 2016 BUT OH NO, boy was I wrong... Matt had decided to register for one that was just 6 weeks away...WHAT??? "Only 6 weeks to train and you haven't competed in 2 years?!?!?"  Well, I just made him promise to be smart and I would support him any way possible!
Fast forward through many early morning training sessions before the rest of us were ever awake to August 7, 2015...we loaded the car and caravanned with some of his racing buddies and their families up to Michigan!



Our trip there was pretty uneventful until Jason forgot his bike was on top of his car and he preceded to drive thru at Starbucks and nailed the sign. Thank goodness a local shop was able to get it back together as best as possible for him to compete... 😁

And moving on... 👍🏼 We spent the next day around the Athlete Village with friends and the boys. 





The walk to/from transition and race area was at least a mile from where we could park. So needless to say, I got my exercise carrying and pulling these 2 around all day on both days! 

The boys were able to get marked up and then I took the kiddos swimming so Matt could have a little "mental prep" time packing his gear bag.



After an early bedtime and good nights sleep, Ryan picked Matt up around 5:30a and off they went for RACE DAY!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment