So this is leading up to due date:
It all began on Thursday, March 29th - My doctor's visit turned into me having an ultrasound because the doctor was not sure if she was breech or not plus my blood pressure was acting a little crazy. She stated that she thought the baby was so long and she couldn't tell if it was the butt or head at the bottom because she was folded in half. This is what began the discussion of "do we want to schedule a c-section."
The doctor did not seem to think there was any concern once she realized that Cameron was head down but she was not agreeable to me traveling to NCAA Regionals the following weekend. There were minimal hospitals between here and there and even less that would be capable of handling a VBAC situation. So I spent the next week stressing about that and realized that I couldn't change the situation so I did what I could to enjoy the moments...
Then came Saturday, April 7th when the realization that we were 1 week from due date started to hit me. Up til then, I had been so engrossed with the season that the day was approaching quickly without me really noticing. Other than the minor panic on March 29th, the pregnancy had gone very well and we were doing great. I had started progressing and the contractions were getting more frequent with a few strong ones here and there. I still not feel that these were true labor contractions so a fear set in that the baby was not going to come on her own. (don't ask me why I felt this, I just did)
After a long talk with Matt, we decided we would call the doctor on Monday morning and schedule a c-section for Friday morning (due date) unless we went into to labor earlier than that. Here is where I wanted to start controlling everything... God had a sense of humor and he let me think that I was until I had daily arguments with myself over what to do. I wanted to know all was going to be ok but I wanted a VBAC but our families were from out of town and they could get here but I wanted a VBAC but Matt thought a c-section would be fine but...etc, etc, etc!!! I don't know if I ever stopped crying that week...I didn't know what the right decision was but I couldn't make a decision either. I spoke to some of my friends and you were all so amazing in trying to help me cope with the decision. I just had a feeling that I was quiting on something that I had wanted for so long... The poor nurse at the doctor's office was amazing as I spoke to her multiple times each day just trying to figure out what to do. Finally on Wednesday, I think she had heard from me enough where she said she thinks I should sit down with the doctor and discuss with her my emotions and thoughts. So on Thursday (day before due date and scheduled c-section), Matt and I went to see the doctor. I needed to hear that I was making the right decision. After a long talk with the doctor, she said there was not right/wrong decision but that after checking everything, she would only give me through the weekend to go into natural labor and if it didn't happen then she would c/s on Monday. She hooked us up to a non-stress test so she could see exactly what kind of activity I was having...well, her comment was "do you feel these?" I said "yes but nothing painful." She said, "wow, ok, well there is definitely some activity." She then stated to come visit her on Monday morning if nothing happened over the weekend and we would go from there.
Matt and I then sat in the room and talked and still felt it was best for us to keep the c/s for tomorrow morning for multiple reasons: 1. family was coming already, 2. Friday the 13th baby would be the same as me, 3. weekend to recover before family had to leave, 4. baby was getting long, 5. Matt wouldn't have to watch me in pain, 6. etc...the list could go on and on!!!
So, here we were...5:45am on due date (Friday, April 13th). We were walking out the door as we were supposed to be at the hospital at 6:00am for check-in and c/s at 8:00am. Nothing changed that morning other than excitement, anxiety, and all the emotions that come along with the situation. As we were driving to the hospital, I realized that I had not been listening to God that week. He was weighing heavy on my heart and just felt the immediate need to talk with him but since I was still crying and couldn't talk without tears, I asked Matt if he would pray. We stopped at a green light at the intersection of Mt. Auburn and Independance...and prayed! We prayed that God be in control and that he would give us peace with the situation and whatever happened that day. Looking back, I can say that I felt immediately relief, that the decision was no longer mine and He had truly taken the situation out of my hands...I didn't cry another tear prior to delivery.
We arrive at the hospital, get checked in, go up to labor and delivery, and get assigned a room...we immediately realize it was the exact same room where we were with Alex during his birth (coincidence?)...I think not!!! Then, low and behold, we had the same nurse hooking up to the monitors as well...I truly felt these were all signs that God was telling me to relax and He had taken over! AND BOY HAD HE... (check out post 3 for more...)
Thursday, June 28, 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment